Sunday, May 18, 2008

Chef John's Steak Sauce Recipe


Homemade Steak Sauce (also good with pork chops

1/2 cup cold water
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
a pinch of cayenne
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 garlic clove cut in half. Don't crush it; you just want a hint of garlic.

Give that a mix and put it on the stove on low heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. When I say low simmer, I mean you want the bubbles just breaking the surface.


After 15 minutes, strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Squeeze out all the juice and refrigerate.


Note: I have found that I much prefer putting sauces on the plate and then adding the meat so the meat juices mix with the sauce and make it exponentially better. But that's just how I roll, you are clearly welcome to do whatever you like.





No comments:

Post a Comment