Saturday, September 28, 2013

Sausage Pizza Ravioli

The other day I was in the mood for a sausage pizza but I was in Ravioli mode so I decided to make a Pizza Ravioli. Interestingly, I found a plethora of pizza ravioli images that were simply pizzas with ravioli's laid on top. This is not what I wanted to make.


I also found a video where the ravioli consisted with a large dollop of tomato sauce, a slight sprinkling of mozzarella and a tiny piece of peperoni on top...not even close to what I thought would be acceptable.  I wanted to make a ravioli that tasted like a pizza with the same ratio of ingredients (+/-) i.e. mostly cheese, a lesser amount of sausage and a bit of tomato sauce.



After musing for more time that was probably necessary I decided on the following proportions:


10 Oz sweet (mild) Italian Sausage with fennel seeds

1 Lb. (16 ounces) Whole Milk Shredded Mozzarella

1 Cup of your favorite Marinara Sauce

1 Tbs Olive Oil


Making The Filling:  Brown the sausage in the oil and then transfer into a fine mesh strainer to drain (do not press down on the sausage to expel the grease). Let cool and crumble and then mix the sausage, cheese and sauce with a large spoon mix until all of the ingredients well-incorporated. You can prepare the filling up to a couple of days before you make the Ravioli.


Making the Ravioli: 



Cooking Them: The traditional method of cooking Ravioli is by dropping them into a boiling pot of water. Other ways are by deep frying, pan frying them in butter and olive oil or even baking them. I chose to pan fry them and they were delish!



Serving Them: Coated with marinara sauce, a side garden salad or whatever else strikes your fancy.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment